Thanks Thistles and Whistles for the nomination! Y’all should check out her blog. She’s a lovely soul who’s always got a book in her hand and a positive thing to say. As part of the award, she posed the following questions for me:
- If you could learn one important skill in the next year, what would it be? I’ve been working a lot on beefing up my graphic design skills now that I’ve got my own graphic design freelance business. I feel like I know Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop quite well, but there’s SO much you can do with those programs, there’s always a ton more to learn! I just discovered Creative Live and have been learning lots of great stuff on there for free!
- Describe yourself in 3 words. Curious, introverted, reflective
- If you had to give up one thing, what would it be? It can be a trait, a habit, a food item or anything! Sleeping in. Can’t seem to knock the habit, especially now that I’m making my own work hours. Still working on it!
- What’s the number 1 thing on your wishlist right now? A DSLR camera. If I’m reaaally good this year I might buy myself one for Christmas.
- What has recently inspired you? This. So many pretty ideas.
- The three things you always carry around with you in your purse/wallet? Water bottle because I’m perpetually afraid of dehydration, a mini moleskine notebook in case I have a brilliant idea I need to jot down while I’m out and about, and kleenex for snotty noses, dirty fingers, toilet paper when you pick the wrong bathroom stall, etc. etc.
- Your favorite corner/room at home? Our big ol’ covered front porch. I love sitting out there with my laptop working while enjoying a beautiful day. Or snuggling up with a cup of coffee, watching a rain storm pass through. In fact, I’m sitting out there right now!
- The last thing you ate? A whole wheat bagel sandwich with egg, cheese, spinach, avocado, Quorn sausage, and sriracha. It was deeelicious.
- Any one everyday tip/life hack that you swear by? Todoist. If it’s not on my to-do list, it doesn’t get done. I’ve recently started categorizing items on my to-do list by how much time or effort they’ll take. Big tasks either take an hour or more and/or take a lot of brainpower to complete (like going to the grocery store or designing a newsletter). Medium tasks take between a half hour and an hour and/or take a moderate amount of brain effort (like pulling weeds in the yard or adding content to my website). Small tasks take under 30 minutes or very little brain power (like doing laundry or simple email responses). Once all items are categorized I try to make sure I only have 1-2 big tasks, 3-4 medium tasks, and a handful of small tasks (otherwise known as simple wins) to complete each day. That way I’m not setting myself up for failure by loading up way too many big tasks on my list each day, and when I’m feeling unmotivated I always have a couple small tasks I can do to get that nice sense of accomplishment to get me going again.
- Favourite go-to snack. Popcorn! I pop my own on the stove and add garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, salt and pepper (and obviously melted butter). I can’t stop myself from eating a whole bowl all by myself. It’s a problem.
- What are you currently watching/following on TV? 30 Rock — my boyfriend and I are watching the whole series on Netflix — we’re midway through season 5 right now. It’s just brilliant.
Now I nominate YOU. If you’re reading this, I want you to answer these questions too! Make it a blog post or just respond in the comments. I’d love to get to know you better!